5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
These cookies are an impressive showpiece, yet surprisingly easy to create. Layers of red and white cookie are stacked to make the shape of a Christmas ornament. The topper is a lid, and when opened, hold a treat on the inside. Surprise!
We used Linzer cookie cutters, but you can use any round cutter in two to three different sizes. You need a smaller base for the bottom and the toppers. To add interest to the toppers, you can add another smaller round cookie to add height.
This recipe makes 3 dozen cookies.
- Sugar cookies
- Royal Icing
- Candy bows
- Mini chocolate covered candies
- Regular size chocolate covered candies
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons butter extract
- 3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- red food coloring
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy in an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and extracts. Scrape the bowl. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined. Divide dough in half. Add red food coloring to one half. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Roll out dough to 1/4” to 3/8” thick. Cut out circles 2 small round cookies for the top and bottom. Cut out 2 red and 2 white cookies that are larger in diameter. Cut a circle into the middle using a small round cutter. Carefully transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on the rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To assemble, Use a generous amount of icing on the base. Add a larger cookies to the top. Add more royal icing to the top of that cookie to act as glue. Stack, alternating colors, until you have 4 cookies. Make a lid by attaching a candy bow or stacked chocolate covered candies. Fill with mini chocolate covered candies.
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
Love coupons, delicious recipes and contests? Register for Dixie Crystals's Sweet Community newsletter and gain insider only access. Be the first to know; sign up today!
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Vintage Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects