5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
You already know that flowers smell great. Did you know that some of them taste great too? Edible flowers coated in a superfine sugar mixture make great decorations for cakes, cupcakes and cookies – or you can just eat them straight as a tasty treat. Watch your friends freak out as they see you eating flowers!
- 2 pasteurized egg whites (or you can use meringue powder or dried egg whites)
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Wax paper
- Small paintbrush
- Variety of edible flowers (Note: Not all flowers can be consumed! For a list of beautiful and safe to eat flowers, see this chart on About.com.)
- Whisk 2 egg whites or in a small bowl until they become light and frothy. Beat until completely smooth with no lumps.
- Put 2 cups of sugar in a second bowl. (Note: for a superfine sugar, pulse the granulated sugar in a food processor for a few seconds.)
- Select a variety of edible flowers. Make sure the flowers have not been treated with chemicals or pesticides. We used violets in the photo above.
- Hold the flower by the stem or with a pair of tweezers and with the paintbrush gently coat the tops and bottoms of all petals with the egg white mixture. Cover completely but do not saturate as too much egg white on the petals will soak in and not allow the flower to harden.
- Dip the flowers into the sugar and coat evenly. Gently shake off any excess sugar and place on wax paper to completely dry and harden. The hardening process can take up to 36 hours. Candied flowers are fully dry when stiff and brittle to the touch.
- After they dry, store in an air-tight container at room temperature and separated by layers of wax paper. Use within 2 months.
Home bakers have trusted Dixie Crystals since 1843. We’re happy to share these coupons with you.
Love coupons, delicious recipes and contests? Register for Dixie Crystals's Sweet Community newsletter and gain insider only access. Be the first to know; sign up today!
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Vintage Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects