5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
For kids of all ages that loved sweet and sour candy, these Sweet and Sour Pumpkin Gummies are the perfect treat for you! These cute, soft pumpkins covered with a sour coating like Sour Patch Kids® candy. Perfect for a Thanksgiving snack, dessert or gift - these pumpkin gummies pack a punch of flavor.
Serve this Sweet and Sour Gummy Pumpkin candy for a fun Thanksgiving snack or dessert, or wrap them in cellophane and tie with ribbon - and don't forget to use one of our free Thanksgiving printable tags. You'll love the sweet-sour flavor of these gummy pumpkins!
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon zest of citrus fruit of choice (finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons powdered gelatin
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Food coloring to match flavor
Sweet n Sour Coating:
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons citric acid
- Mini pumpkin molds or pumpkin cookie cutters
- Prepare pumpkin molds by lightly spraying with cooking oil. Set aside. If using cookie cutters, read on.
- Combine juice and zest in a large bowl. Allow to rest for 5 or so minutes to soften up the zest and release its flavorful oils.
- Sprinkle gelatin all over juice mixture, stir until completely combined then set aside.
- Combine water, sugar and salt in a medium pot and stir while bringing to a boil. Stop stirring when it begins to boil. Keep it at a boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour sugar mixture over the gelatin mixture and stir until it is smooth and all gelatin has dissolved.
- Pour mixture into the mini pumpkin molds. (If you don’t have a pumpkin mold, line an 8 x 8 inch pan with tinfoil and very lightly oil. Pour mixture into prepared pan.) Let sit overnight.
- When ready to prepare, mix sugar and citric acid in a bowl.
- Remove pumpkin gumdrops from mold (or if using a pan, take pumpkin shaped fondant cutters and cut out shapes). Coat each pumpkin gummy with sugar and citric acid mixture. Once coated, let the pumpkin gummies set for a day or so to really form a firm sour crust.
- Serve as a fun dessert or snack, or wrap in cellophane, tie with ribbon and use one of our free printable Thanksgiving gift tags for a gift.
- Can be stored at room temperature.
Love coupons, delicious recipes and contests? Register for Dixie Crystals's Sweet Community newsletter and gain insider only access. Be the first to know; sign up today!
Home bakers have trusted Dixie Crystals since 1917. We’re happy to share these coupons with you.
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Vintage Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects