5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
These darling Thanksgiving Pilgrim Hat cookies are simple, yummy, and a festive way to celebrate Thanksgiving.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes for decoration
Baking/Cooking Time: 11-13 minutes
Supplies to make 24 cookies:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method*)
- 1/2 cup non Dutched (non alkalized) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Powdered Sugar (for rolling dough)
- 1 bag miniatures peanut buttercups (dark or milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Combine and sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- With hand held mixer or stand mixer beat soft butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add egg and vanilla extract. Add sifted ingredients and mix until dough forms, do not overmix.
- Press dough 1/4 inch thick on a cookie sheet lined with plastic food film and place in refrigerator until firm enough to be rolled, about 30-45 minutes. (or refrigerate dough overnight).
- Press dough briefly together to form a ball. Place powdered sugar in a sieve and dust the work surface and dough with a thin layer.
- Roll dough about 3-4 stacked credit cards thick. Cut into circles nearly 1/4 inch wider than peanut buttercups and place on parchment lined cookies sheets about 1/4 inch apart.
- Place in oven and bake until the surface is set but is still soft, about 11-13 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely
- Prepare royal icing and if desired add orange food color. Using royal icing “glue” peanut buttercups onto cookie bottoms.
With a piping bag, pipe a ribbon of icing along the bottom of peanut buttercups.
*Using a spoon fill a measuring cup with flour until the required amount is obtained. (Scooping a measuring cup directly into a flour bag will firmly pack the flour resulting in too much flour required for the recipe)
Home bakers have trusted Dixie Crystals since 1917. We’re happy to share these coupons with you.
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Vintage Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects