5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
Colored sugar adds a unique, decorative touch to sweets. Rather than traveling to your nearest market or craft store, why not make your own colored sugar?
- Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pour your set amount of sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly and carefully, add food coloring to the sugar, one drop at a time.
- Rub the food coloring into the sugar with your hands until all sugar evenly colored. Add more dye as needed. If the color is too dark, add more sugar and rub the color into it.
- If you plan to store your sugar, be sure to let it dry by spreading it out on parchment or wax paper.
Use for decorating your sweets – or for a fun alternative for sweetening your favorite beverages.
Fun Ideas for Using Your Colored Sugars:
- Line the rim of lemonade glasses (or martini glasses).
- Sprinkle sugar on white-chocolate covered strawberries (or any treat dipped in white or dark chocolate – pretzels, sandwich cookies, dried fruits, cake balls, truffles).
- Sprinkle on cupcakes, cakes, sugar cookies, ice cream or yogurt.
- Liven up your pancakes and waffles by adding sugar as your final touch.
- Knead it into your homemade playdough for some added color.
- Package in a glass jar for a gift or decoration for Mother’s Day or as a Teacher’s Appreciation gift.
Home bakers have trusted Dixie Crystals since 1917. We’re happy to share these coupons with you.
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Vintage Recipes
- Kid’s in the Kitchen Search Results
- Search Kid’s in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Fun Kid’s Projects