5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
These heavenly-scented Cinnamon Sugar Ornaments are a classic recipe from the 1992 November-December Vol. XII, No. 6 Holiday edition of Homemade Good News, a culinary publication from Dixie Crystals Sugar. Named “Leaves of Cinnamon”, we brought this recipe out of the archives (and altered it just a bit) for the Christmas holiday when we saw how simple and fun it still is for even the smallest of chefs. These ornaments will not only look cute on the tree, but will fill the room with the sweet smell of cinnamon.
These ornaments can also be used as accents on your holiday gifts or as a table decoration. Just either hot glue a Cinnamon Sugar Ornament to a napkin ring, or use a festive bow to tie them up around your holiday napkins.
- ribbon, raffia or twine
- 1 cup ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup glue
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- Mix cinnamon with clove and nutmeg in a medium sized bowl.
- Stir and then add applesauce and glue.
- Mix by hand to form smooth, clay-like dough.
- Roll out your dough to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out holiday shapes with cookie cutters. Add a hole in the top for a ribbon with a straw or toothpick.
- Life shapes carefully with a spatula and place on a parchment paper cookie sheet.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 2-3 hours until dry and hard.
- Tie with a ribbon and hang on your tree or use as a package decoration like our example below.
Home bakers have trusted Dixie Crystals since 1917. We’re happy to share these coupons with you.
Love coupons, delicious recipes and contests? Register for Dixie Crystals's Sweet Community newsletter and gain insider only access. Be the first to know; sign up today!
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Vintage Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects