5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
This fun activity is both a craft and a treat! Adorable popcorn stuffed pumpkins and apples will spice up any Halloween, Thanksgiving or Fall themed children’s party. Start in the kitchen making cinnamon sugar popcorn together, then bring the party to the craft table and let your little ones cut and stitch their own apple and pumpkin treat bags.
Supplies for Treat Bags:
- Colored yarn or string
- Hole punch
- Heavier weight brown craft paper, colored paper or white paper
- Colors, markers or colored pencils (optional)
Directions for Treat Bags:
- Print out the Pumpkin and Apple Stuffed Paper Bag Patterns. You can print directly onto brown craft paper, as we did, or you could use colored paper, or white paper that you hand color. Choose a heavier weight paper if your printer will allow it, as super thin paper will tear when stitching up the sides.
- Cut out the pattern. Use a hole punch to punch holes where indicated. Set your patterns aside and make the Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn.
Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or canola)
- 2/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons Dixie Crystals Cinnamon Sugar Shaker
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
Directions for the Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn:
- Add the coconut oil and 3 popcorn kernels to a large pot with a tight fitting lid. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until all 3 kernels pop. Take the three kernels out of the pot.
- Add the rest of the popcorn kernels. Cover and take the pot off of the heat. Wait 30 seconds. Put the pot back on the heat.
- Cook, shaking the pot occasionally until the popping slows down. After about 2 minutes, take the lid off of the pot. This lets the steam out and keeps the popcorn crisp.
- While the popcorn is popping, melt the butter.
- Pour over the popcorn and sprinkle with salt and cinnamon sugar. Toss until completely coated. You could also do this in a large paper bag. Let cinnamon popcorn cool completely.
- While popcorn is cooling, begin stitching up your paper patterns.
- Using colored yarn, stitch the front and back pieces together. Tie a knot in both ends of the yarn to keep it from coming loose.
- Stitch up both sides of the pumpkin or apple, leave the top part of the pattern open. Before sewing it entirely closed, fill with Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn.
- Once it is full, stitch up the top of the stuffed paper bag and tie off ends of yarn. Cut off any excess yarn.
- Now you have a fun treat to take to your party! When ready to eat, just tear the stuffed paper bag open.
Love coupons, delicious recipes and contests? Register for Dixie Crystals's Sweet Community newsletter and gain insider only access. Be the first to know; sign up today!
Home bakers have trusted Dixie Crystals since 1843. We’re happy to share these coupons with you.
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Vintage Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects