5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
Some of the most precious holiday treasures come from the hands of our littlest angels. But the real treasure is the joy of creating a keepsake together. This fun and simple holiday craft ornament recipe first appeared in our 1995 November/December, volume XIV number 6 Dixie Crystals Home Made Good News publication. Only three ingredients are needed, and kids can transform dough into an icicle, candy cane or any other fun sparkling holiday shape perfect for trimming the tree.
- 2 cups salt
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 cup cornstarch
- tin foil covered baking sheet
- red food coloring (optional - for candy cane)
- Stir salt into 1/2 cup of water in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat until hot.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup of water with the cornstarch until smooth in a bowl.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the salt mixture.
- Return the saucepan to the stove and cook, stirring constantly over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens into the consistency of stiff mashed potatoes.
- Turn mixture out onto a glass plate and cover with a damp towel.
- Allow to cool, then knead and shape into a snake-like rope.
- For the icicle, fold the rope in half and twist two halves together - leaving a loop on the top for the ribbon.
- For the candy cane, add several drops of red food coloring to half the dough. Knead and shape both white and red dough into two ropes. Twist the two together and bend the top into a hook.
- Bake the ornaments on a tin foil lined baking sheet at 200 degrees for 2-3 hours until completely hard. (You can also let ornaments dry at room temperature for several days).
Home bakers have trusted Dixie Crystals since 1917. We’re happy to share these coupons with you.
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Vintage Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects