5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
Skip the cornucopia decorations this year. We have an easy Thanksgiving craft that you can make together with your children. All you need is string, sugar, water and ballons. Kids of all ages will be able to easily master this simple craft project.
Your Sugar String Pumpkins can be used as a centerpiece for your Thanksgiving table or the highlight of a holiday mantle.
Display them indivdually as we have here, or group them for a bigger impact.
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Orange cotton crochet string or yarn
- Measuring cup, bowl and spoon
- Brown raffia paper
- Blow up a balloon to the size you want your pumpkin. Tie the end and add a piece of string about 8 inches long. You’ll use this to hang it to dry when the project is complete.
- Wrap the colored crochet cotton around the balloon. You can cover it completely or leave open spaces. When finished, secure the string end under another layer so it isn’t loose.
- Mix 1/2 cup of warm water with 1 cup of sugar. Mix completely until all sugar is dissolved.
- Put the string-wrapped balloon into the sugar water mixture until it is completely wet. Make sure all sides are coated with the sugar-water mixture. (NOTE: Larger balloons will require more sugar mixture to hold their shape.)
- Hang the balloon to dry over the sink or outside.
- Once the string is completely dry (this can take up to 24 hours depending on how much string you use and how thick the string is), pop and remove the balloon.
- Add a bit of brown raffia to the top for the pumpkin stem and decorate with ribbon.
Home bakers have trusted Dixie Crystals since 1917. We’re happy to share these coupons with you.
Love coupons, delicious recipes and contests? Register for Dixie Crystals's Sweet Community newsletter and gain insider only access. Be the first to know; sign up today!
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Vintage Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects