5 Star Recipes
Dressings, Marinades, Sauces
Jam & Jelly
Quick And Easy
Recipes For Kids
Cookies & Bars
Crisps, Cobblers, Crumbles
Frosting, Glazes, Syrup
Pies & Tarts
Pudding, Mousse, Souffles
Turkey suncatchers are a cute addition to your Thanksgiving decor as they hang in your windows and welcome guests. This craft is a kid favorite and provides hours of entertainment. By tearing the tissue paper into thin strips, you create turkey feathers, and when hung, sunlight pours through them. You could also make small turkeys and string them together to make a bunting.
This is a great activity for kids or the whole family to do together during your Thanksgiving holiday. Make each turkey different and unique - be creative!
We cut out our pieces freehand, but you could create a template to use to trace and cut out the turkey body and feathers. Here's a tip: to hang in the windows, use craft dots to adhere. Tape doesn’t stick very well to waxed paper.
Want to store these as a keepsake for next year? Just put a piece of parchment paper in between each turkey and store them flat.
- tissue paper (assorted colors)
- wax paper
- decoupage glue (recipe follows)
- foam craft brush
- construction paper
- black marker
- Tear tissue paper into thin strips.
- Tape a large piece of waxed paper onto your work surface.
- Brush glue on half of the waxed paper.
- Lay tissue paper over the glue, overlapping until the surface is covered.
- Carefully brush glue over the tissue paper.
- Fold the other half of the waxed paper over the tissue and flatten until smooth, smoothing air bubbles.
- Let dry completely.
- Fold waxed paper in half and freehand draw feather shape along the seam. Cut around and open to reveal turkey feathers.
- Cut out turkey body, beak, eyes, and gobbler. Glue onto turkey body and then onto wax paper feathers. Draw blacks into the eyes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
Love coupons, delicious recipes and contests? Register for Dixie Crystals's Sweet Community newsletter and gain insider only access. Be the first to know; sign up today!
Home bakers have trusted Dixie Crystals since 1843. We’re happy to share these coupons with you.
Sign up today for our free newsletter. Get exclusive recipes and coupons!
- Share Your Recipe
- Tips for Baking & Cooking With Sugar
- My Recipe Box
- New Recipes
- 5 Star Recipes
- Vintage Recipes
- Search Kids in the Kitchen Recipes
- My First Cookbooks
- Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club
- Fun Kid’s Projects