Homemade Chocolate Liqueur
Prep time :
Prep time of 2 weeks
40 - 50 servings
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2 1/3 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (the best quality you can find)
- 3/4 cup half and half, warmed
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate (chopped fine)
- 1 liter quality vodka
- In medium pan, over medium high heat, combine sugar, water and salt. Stir until it comes to a boil then allow to boil unstirred until it turns a deep amber color and smells like caramel. Be careful it can turn from caramel to burnt sugar really quickly.
- Remove from heat immediately and add cocoa powder, stir vigorously. Add half and half and stir until combined.
- Add semi-sweet chocolate and stir until completely smooth.
- Pour into large glass container with tight sealing lid, add vodka and vanilla beans and seal.
- Shake vigorously. Store in cool dark place; shaking every few days for 2 weeks.
- After a few weeks, strain the liqueur through a coffee filter set in a mesh strainer, into a clean jar or large pourable container.
- Pour into bottles or jars, seal and store in refrigerator.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: brianmayo :: carolyn edwards :: Dixie :: Bets :: P P :: xxx :: Beth :: RENEEDYER :: Susan Hunt :: Karen :: NCyankee :: Sweetstuff :: BROOKE :: Brenda England :: CouponMama :: Marguerite Salter :: CharlesJr :: Kenneth S :: jdnoblitt :: shemaiyaone