3 hours proofing time
- 1 cup milk (room temperature-72-75°F)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour *
- 3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
For interior of the buns
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter for pans
- 1/2 cup well packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup well packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- Optional: 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch salt
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Pour milk in a bowl followed by eggs, vanilla, sugar, honey and salt. Place flour on top.
- Combine yeast with lukewarm water and place on top of flour.
- Using dough hook mix the dough until elastic and smooth, about 5-7 minutes on medium speed.
- Gradually add pieces of butter to dough allowing it to be fully incorporated before adding next amount. When incorporated stop mixing.
- Cover bowl with plastic food wrap and set in a warm place (like the top of a refrigerator) and allow the dough to rise until doubled in volume, about 60-80 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt second listed butter and generously brush into two 9-inch round cake pans. Sprinkle generously with 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Set aside.
- When dough has doubled in size remove from bowl. This will make the dough collapse which is normal and required.
- On a well-floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle measuring roughly 24 x 15 inches.
- Melt (keep thick and not very warm) 1/2 cup butter and brush onto surface of dough. Sprinkle evenly with 2/3 cup dark brown sugar. Sprinkle with pecans if desired.
- Starting from bottom edge roll dough forward into a long roll. Cut dough crosswise in half. Cut each half in half again and then cut each piece into 4 equal pieces. Place 8 rolls per prepared pan and cover with plastic food wrap.
- Place in a warm place until rolls have gained about 75% in volume, this will take nearly one hour. Meanwhile preheat oven at 350°F.
- Place proofed buns in oven and bake until light golden brown, about 27-30 minutes. Meanwhile prepare glaze by bringing butter, brown sugar, cream and salt to a boil for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove rolls from oven and let sit for 2 minutes. Turn pans upside down onto a sheet of parchment paper. Be careful of any hot drippings. When cool enough to handle turn upside down onto a serving platter.
- Cover with glaze and serve.