- 1 cup buttermilk (room temperature-72-75°F)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour*
- 3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup water lukewarm
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
Cinnamon Paste Filling
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 well packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon (most delicious is Vietnamese)
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts or pecan pieces
- 4 cups or 1 lb box Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 6 tablespoons orange juice concentrate or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Pour buttermilk in a bowl followed by eggs, vanilla, sugar, honey and salt. Place flour on top.
- Combine yeast with lukewarm water and place on top of flour.
- Using the dough hook mix the dough until elastic and smooth, about 5-7 minutes on medium speed.
- Gradually add pieces of butter to the dough allowing it to be fully incorporated before adding next amount. When incorporated stop mixing.
- Cover bowl with plastic food wrap and set in a warm place (top of refrigerator) and allow dough to rise until doubled in volume, about 60-80 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare filling by whisking butter, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon smooth. Set aside at room temperature. Do not add nuts.
- Prepare 2 large cookie sheets by either brushing liberally with butter or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- When dough has doubled in size remove from the bowl, this will make the dough collapse and is normal and is required.
- On a well floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle measuring roughly 24 x 15 inches.
- Spread cinnamon paste evenly over surface and sprinkle with nuts.
- Starting from bottom edge roll dough forward into a long roll. Cut dough crosswise in half. Cut each half in half again and then cut each piece into 4 equal pieces.
- Place 8 rolls per cookie sheet and cover with plastic food wrap.
- Place in a warm place until rolls have gained about 75% in volume, this will take nearly one hour. Meanwhile turn on oven at 350°F.
- Place proofed buns in oven and bake until light golden brown, about 27-30 minutes. Meanwhile prepare glaze whisking powdered sugar, juice and vanilla extract smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Remove rolls from oven and let sit cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- Cover with glaze and serve.