Refrigerate 4 hours
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 packages active yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Poppy Seed Pear Filling
- 4 peeled pears
- 1 quart water
- 2 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Splash of vanilla
- Poppy seeds
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Biscuits: Cut butter into small squares and mix it with flour. Do not overmix. The secret is to make sure dough has clumps of butter in it. Place yeast in warm water for 10 minutes. Stir in cream, cardamon, salt, egg and sugar.
- Take mixture and add it to flour/butter mixture. Do not mix too much, keep little pieces of butter! Refrigerate mixture for at least 4 hours. Then take mixture out and roll into a large square.
- Fold dough like a like a piece of paper going into an envelope...into thirds. Roll out again and refold 2 more times. Create a giant square with dough and cut square in half. take on half of dough and place some of pear pieces on bottom 1/3. Then fold dough again into 3 levels, like a piece of paper going into an envelope. Cut dough into 2-inch rectangular peices.
- Place biscuits on a greased pan and let rise for 30 minutes. Mix an egg and brush egg onto top of biscuits and sprinkle some poppy seeds if desired. The put biscuits into oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Bake at 375°F.
- Pear mix: Boil water and sugar and splash of vanilla. Then lower heat and add in pears. Cook pears for 30 minutes in water. Cut pears into tiny pieces or puree them. Now you have your pear mix for your biscuits.