Dill Pickle Chips
Prep time :
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups white distilled vinegar
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 10-12 cups trimmed and sliced pickling cucumbers
- 5 cloves peeled garlic
- 5 whole bay leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons whole mustard seed, divided
- 5 heads fresh dill
- Prepare water bath canner, 5 pint jars and lids.
- Combine pickling spices in a piece of cheesecloth or spice bag.
- In a large steel saucepan, combine water, white vinegar, sugar, pickling salt and the bag of pickling spices. Bring pickling liquid to a boil, stirring occasionally, until sugar and salt dissolve. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes; remove pickling spices and set pickling liquid aside.
- Place 1 bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 garlic clove and 1 head of dill into each clean jar. Pack cucumber slices into hot jars to within 1/2-inch of top of jar.
- Ladle pickling liquid into jar to completely cover cucumbers. Make sure to leave 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe rims, center lid on jar and screw band down until just fingertip-tight.
- Place jars in canner, making sure they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 15 minutes. Remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes and then remove jars. Cool on the counter to room temperature and then store for up to 1 year in a dark, cool spot.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: LISA WILLIAMS :: frankier :: Monica W :: daph01 :: chefcrystal :: Colette :: Edna :: Melissa G :: April D Brown :: ladyj :: joan :: DCalder :: Tammym62 :: Jackie :: Karrin Scott :: liz m :: Michelle D :: stephanie :: Chirl Girl :: Jamie