- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup simmering water
- 1/2 cup baking chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 4 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Green icing or food coloring
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line standard muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix with mixer on medium speed until well-blended (about 2 minutes).
- Add simmering water and mix well (the batter is supposed to be thin at this point). Then, stir in chocolate chunks.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, pour into paper liners (should fill 2/3 of liner).
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes on wire racks. While cupcakes cool, you can make your icing.
- Combine butter and shortening in a medium bowl. Cream with mixer on medium speed until well blended (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add vanilla and peppermint extracts and reduce mixer to low speed. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, making sure each addition is well mixed before adding the next.
- Add milk and mix on high speed for 1 minute. Lastly, stir in food coloring to icing until desired color is reached.
- Take your cooled cupcake and pipe on icing using a large star tip. If you don’t have a pastry bag or tip, you can use a plastic sandwich bag by reinforcing one of edges with tape (to keep it from busting). Then, snip the bag with a zig zag pattern until you reach a star shape. If desired, sprinkle leftover chocolate chunks on top for a decorative touch. Enjoy!
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
March 2011 Recipe Contest Winner!