Creamy Wild Mushroom and Sage Soup
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound mixed wild mushrooms, sliced (cremini, shiitaki, oyster, Portobello, porcini)
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons Cognac
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream, warmed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, shallot and garlic and saute, stirring often, until mushrooms are very soft, about 12 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms, stir and cook an additional minute. Stir in Cognac and cook until liquid has absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add broth and sage and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Depending on size of your blender you may have to do this in two batches. Return puree to the pot. Over low heat, stir in cream until blended. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter, sugar and a pinch of salt together. Once smooth add pecans. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the pecans to a piece of foil or plate to cool.
- Serve soup in bowls and garnish with caramelized pecans and a drizzle of cream.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Meredith Steele @InSockMonkeySlippers.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: BETHANY :: Kim Jones :: RAggar :: Camille W :: Dee :: mareecin :: angie :: mary :: roxy h :: regina :: Kim :: Tasha :: Sarah :: MMitchell :: Tabby Mcguffin :: JeniyGavin :: Patty :: monique :: HL :: Julia B