- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 head curly kale
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup candied pecans (recipe below)
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups shelled raw pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Spread sweet potatoes evenly on sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Wash kale. Dry completely. Remove stalks from kale and slice thinly. Add to a large bowl. Add roasted sweet potatoes, cranberries and candied pecans. Toss lightly with dressing.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. In a large bowl, wish egg whites until foamy. Add sugar, spices and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk until blended. Add nuts to bowl and coat completely. Spread evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. The nuts are done when they look dry. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining salt. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
NOTE: Kale is a nutritional powerhouse, loaded with antioxidants and vitamins, but if you have never tried it, you might be a little scared. Not to worry! Kale is incredibly delicious.
When preparing your salad, make sure to thoroughly clean the kale and remove the stalk. Slice into thin pieces, almost like ribbons. This recipe balances out the flavor with a slightly sweet dressing and additional sweetness from the sweet potatoes and dried cranberries. Candied pecans are added for extra crunch. If you do no want to make them from scratch, some toasted pecans would also be wonderful in this salad.
This salad is a great base for any roasted vegetables you might want to try. Brussels Sprouts are also a delicious addition.