Velvety Roasted Corn Soup
Prep time :
8 - 12 servings
- 12-15 ears fresh corn, cut off the cob
- 3 quarts corn stock (save teh cobs to make the corn stock)
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup rough chopped yellow onion
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
For the corn stock:
- Cut the corn off of the cobs, place the corn kernels aside for the soup. Remove the cobs to a large pot. Cover with water, add sugar, and cook for about an hour on medium heat. Strain the stock off of the cobs and set aside. Discard cobs.
For the soup:
- Toss the corn kernels and olive oil. Lightly season with salt and roast the corn kernels on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until corn is lightly browned.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic cloves, onion, and thyme leaves. Stir with a wooden spoon making sure not to burn the ingredients. Add in the corn kernels and continue to cook on medium for 3-5 minutes. Add the corn stock to the vegetable mixture, using only enough liquid to cover the ingredients. Season with about a tablespoon of salt and continue to simmer on medium for about 30-40 minutes.
- While the mixture is still hot, puree in a high speed blender. Strain the soup after blending. Once the soup is blended and strained, add the cream and cayenne. Finish the soup by adjusting the salt level to your taste.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: muffin :: lweedman :: Phyllis :: elli :: Michelle Andretti :: Mason McMillan :: Latonya :: Sharon H :: susanmeier :: l j :: ChefJasmine :: Diane Ray :: Sandy Sosebee :: Tiffany G :: Z :: Cali :: Jana Chambers :: melissa cowick :: jp :: kimberly