- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter for the topping
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup Quaker oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method*)
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
*Using spoon fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. (Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.)
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Peel and quarter sweet potatoes and cook in large pot of boiling water until tender.
- Drain and cool. In medium saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, evaporated milk and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Cube potatoes and place in greased 8 x 12 inch casserole dish.
- Pour sauce over sweet potatoes. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, make the topping by combining the walnuts, butter, oats, flour and brown sugar. Combine with finger or fork until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven, sprinkle topping evenly over top and return to oven for an additional 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
This Sweet Potato Cinnamon Casserole with Brown Sugar Walnut Crumb Topping recipe has been submitted by one of our Dixie Crystals friends and has not been tested in our kitchen. If you have any problems with this recipe, or would like to give us your feedback, please email us by clicking here.