- 1 bunch celery
- 1 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Wash celery and slice the stalks crosswise into thin slices. Scale to obtain 1 lb (4 3/4 cups).
- Bring large pot water to a boil; add celery and cook until celery is almost tender (a dente). Drain well and discard water.
- Combine sugar, water and lemon juice and stir on low heat until sugar dissolves. Turn heat to medium and bring to a boil. Once boiling stop stirring and heat until a thermometer registers 230°F.
- Carefully add drained celery and stir. Return to a boil and then turn to simmer. Stir gently and simmer until mixture is glazy and has thickened, about 40 - 50 minutes. (If after this time the jam is still runny keep on heat for a little longer. You can test the thickness of jam by dropping some on a plate and allow cooling for a few minutes. If jam feels set remove from heat.
- Pour in a clean jar and store refrigerated.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Celery jam may seem a little odd at first (well then so did Jalapeno jelly years ago), but when served with a cheese platter it quickly makes delicious gourmet sense. The way celery jam harmonizes with Brie, goat cheese or most other cheeses is simply outstanding. For accurate results use a thermometer and if you have a kitchen scale use it as well.