- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup cocoa, natural, non Dutched
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 bag (12 oz) chocolate chips, 42-50% cocoa
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups walnut or pecan pieces
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda and set aside.
- Cut butter in cubes and place in a bowl along with chocolate. Melt on low in a microwave or set bowl over barely simmering water while constantly stirring. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs until well blended. Add sugar and whisk vigorously for 1 minute until well combined. Add melted chocolate along with salt and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add flour mixture and stir to combine. Add nuts.
- Spread batter into a rectangular cake pan with approximate size of 11 x 8 inches.
- Place in oven and bake until the center of brownies feels slightly firm when pressed with a finger.
- Allow to cool before cutting.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Much of the flavor in brownies is determined by the chocolate which is used to make them. Using chocolate with low cocoa content will make the brownies too sweet. Using bitter chocolate may make brownies liked by only a few. The brownie recipe below is formulated to be made with chocolate containing between 42% and 50% cocoa. This provides a delicious chocolate flavor enjoyed by even the most discerning taste buds.