- 2 cups almond slices
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 7 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- 1 bar (6 oz) best quality chocolate
- Optional: 1 pint raspberries
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to: 350°F
- Butter a 9-inch round pan. Fit bottom and sides of pan with a layer of parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor combine almond slices, sugar and flour. Mix ingredients until almonds feel finer than cornmeal. Scrape into a bowl.
- Add egg whites, salt, vanilla and almond extract. Stir ingredients until blended.
- In a separate bowl combine butter and chocolate. Place over low simmering water and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour into almond mixture and stir until just combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and place in oven. Bake until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 40 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic food wrap followed by a cookie sheet. Turn upside down. Remove pan and place a serving platter on the bottom of the cake. Flip upside down.
- Prepare ganache and spread evenly over surface. Set aside.
- Chop chocolate bar into small pieces and place 2/3 of it in a microwave proof bowl. Set 1/3 of remaining chocolate aside.
- Select a saucepan which will nicely hold the above bowl. Fill saucepan with one inch of water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling turn to very low simmer and then place chocolate bowl on top. Stir constantly until chocolate is nearly melted and has reached 115°F.
- Remove from heat and allow cooling to 112°F. Add remaining non melted chocolate and stir until most of chocolate has melted.
- Using a metal offset spatula spread chocolate very thinly onto a granite or marble countertop. When chocolate starts to set and has the consistency of leather, scrape chocolate upwards using the spatula to create shavings.
- Place shavings onto cake along with raspberries.