- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons + 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 can coconut milk (regular or low fat)
- 3 + 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large egg yolks at room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can coconut milk (regular- not low fat)
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon light or dark rum (optional)
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- Optional Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter and flour an 9 inch square cake pan, cut a square piece of parchment paper and line bottom of pan and set aside. Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Separate eggs, make sure that no egg yolk enters egg whites as egg whites do not whip when traces of yolk is present.
- In bowl whip egg yolks for a minute. Add first listed 2 tablespoons sugar and whip until mixture is light in color and makes thick ribbons, about 10 minutes. Set aside. Add salt and vanilla extract, stop mixer and set aside.
- In separate bowl whip egg whites, second listed 3 tablespoons sugar and cream of tartar on medium speed to soft medium peaks. Using a hand held spatula fold whipped egg whites into whipped egg yolk mixture. Do not overfold to prevent the mixture from collapsing.
- Add half of the flour and gently fold until incorporated, add the remaining flour and combine ensuring a light mixture. Scrape in pan and place in oven.
- Bake until the center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 33-37 minutes.
- Prepare coconut pudding by bringing first listed coconut milk and 3 tablespoons sugar in a saucepan to boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks, salt and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and cornstarch.
- When coconut milk comes to a boil add about one fourth of coconut milk to yolk mixture. Whisk rapidly. Pour yolk mixture into remaining milk and using a whisk bring to a boil.
- Whisk vigorously to prevent burning, once cream is thick as pudding remove from heat. Place a piece of plastic food film directly onto cream and place in refrigerator.
- Combine remaining coconut milk, sugar, vanilla and rum if using.
- Cut cake horizontally in half using a serrated knife and place on a serving plate. Spoon half of coconut milk mixture onto the cake. If needed, prick surface of cake with a fork to increase absorption.
- Spread coconut pudding onto cake followed by sliced bananas. Place remaining cake layer on top and moisten with coconut milk.
- If serving later wait to place sliced bananas on top to prevent browning. When ready to serve place more bananas on top and top with warm chocolate sauce.