- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- 1 package strawberry gelatin mix
Vanilla Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sprinkles for garnish
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Heat oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 9 inch square pan or a 9 inch round pan. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes, until fluffy and well-combined. Add one egg and beat for about 30 seconds until fully combined. Add second egg and beat another 30 seconds, or until you can no longer see fat streaks running through batter. Add vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined, about 45 seconds.
- With mixer speed on low, slowly add 1/3 of flour mixture and 1/3 of milk, continue to alternate just until all of dry ingredients and all of milk have been combined. Gently fold in sprinkles and transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack (in the pan) for 20 minutes.
- While cake cools, prepare gelatin mix according to package directions, but do not chill.
- Poke evenly spaced holes in cake using end of a wooden spoon. Gently pour liquid strawberry gelatin mixture over slightly cooled cake, filling holes. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to chill at least three hours, or overnight.
- Before serving, prepare whipped cream. Chill a mixing bowl and whisk (if using a stand mixer, chill bowl and whisk attachment) for about 10 minutes. Add heavy cream to chilled bowl and turn mixer on low speed. Mix on low until small bubbles form. Add sugar and mix on medium speed the cream begins to thicken. You'll watch it go through several stages creating bubbles of different sizes and then smoothing out, and finally thickening. The whole process will take 9-10 minutes. When you notice cream has thickened, start to check it every 30 seconds or so, until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in vanilla. Spread on top of cake, garnish with additional sprinkles, cut and serve.
- This makes one small cake, but recipe can easily be doubled for a 9 x 13 cake pan, or for two 9-inch round cakes to create a layer cake.
- 1/2 cup sprinkles for cake batter will seem like a lot - feel free to reduce the amount if you prefer fewer sprinkles.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Cassie Laemmli @Bake Your Day.