- 2 1/2 cups cake flour*, plus more for pans
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening, plus more for pans
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 10 chocolate sandwich cookies, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cups salted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cups shortening
- 1 pound plus 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 12 chocolate sandwich cookies, finely ground in a food processor, divided
- 5 chocolate sandwich cookies, halved
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease three 8-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with parchment; grease parchment. Lightly flour pan, tapping out excess.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening for a few minutes. Beat in egg whites and vanilla until combined. In three additions, add flour, alternating with the milk. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed. Fold in chopped cookies.
- Divide evenly into prepared pans and bake about 25 minutes, or until cakes bounce back when lightly pressed in the center. Place on wire cooling racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans, peel off parchment, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For the frosting, cream butter and shortening together until combined and no lumps remain. On low speed, mix in sugar in three additions. Add milk and mix on low until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of cookie crumbs and fold remainder into the frosting. Reserve 1/2 cup of frosting.
- Place one cake layer on a plate. Frost with about 3/4 cup frosting. Top with another layer and repeat with more frosting. Place third layer on and use remaining frosting to frost tops and sides. Press reserved cookie crumbs onto sides of cake.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a large star tip with reserved 1/2 cup frosting. Pipe 10 swirls of frosting around the top. Place 1/2 cookie onto each swirl. Refrigerate cake to set the layers. Serve cold or at room temperature.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
NOTE: Shortening may be replaced with all butter, but the resulting cake and frosting will be more yellow in color.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.