- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Guinness
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one 8-inch round cake pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter and chopped chocolate.
- Once melted, stir in sugar. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in Guinness and vanilla extract until smooth. Quickly beat in egg until combined. Whisk in dry ingredients until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan until completely cool, then transfer to cake plate and frost.
- Cream butter in the bowl of a stand mixer on high until light and fluffy. Add Bailey's Irish Cream and beat until combined.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. After all sugar had been added, give it a taste and decide if you would like a little more Bailey's Irish Cream. If yes, add 1 teaspoon at a time until desired flavor is achieved.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag, and pipe along the top of the cake. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.