- 3/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 cups cake flour*, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or lemon extract
- 6 large eggs, beaten until stiff
- 1/2 cup figs, chopped & dried
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (4 sticks) butter, unsalted, softened
- 4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare three 9-inch round cake pans by greasing, lining with waxed paper and greasing again. Set aside.
- To make cake layers: Cream butter until very fluffy. Gradually cream in sugar and beat well. Sift flour, baking powder and salt 3 times. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Add flavorings. Fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake layers for 20-25 minutes or until they test done in center. Transfer to racks and cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn layers out of pans, remove waxed paper and cool completely.
- Filling: Combine chopped fruits and nuts in a bowl and add brandy. Toss well and let stand for one hour, stirring occasionally. In top of a double boiler, combine sugar, corn syrup, egg whites, cream of tartar and water and stir until blended. Set over simmering water and beat at high speed for 7 minutes, or until mixture holds stiff peaks. Remove top of double boiler from heat. Add vanilla, beating frosting again until it cools. Drain chopped fruits and nuts and fold them into frosting.
- Buttercream Frosting: Cream butter until it is light and fluffy. Stir in powdered sugar, beating until frosting is of spreading consistency, adding more sugar as necessary. Stir in vanilla.
- To Assemble Cake: Place one cake layer on a cardboard circle cut to fit it. Spread half of filling on top. Arrange second layer on top and spread rest of filling evenly over it. Top with 3rd layer. Spread a thin layer of Butter Cream Frosting on top of cake; frost sides a little more generously.
- Draw a decorating comb around sides of cake to make a ridged design. Spoon remaining Butter Cream into a large pastry bag fitted with a scalloped tip. Add frosting along the bottom edge of the cake, then switch to a rosette tip and add icing roses along the top of the cake.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
This recipe appeared originally in 1989 in our Sugarplums Spirit of Giving cookbook.