- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Pulp from 1 sectioned lemon
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 2/3 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup pureed strawberries
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jelly
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare six 8-inch disposable cake pans by spraying lightly with cooking oil spray then dust with flour. Set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, sectioned lemon, lemon zest and vanilla extract and set aside.
- In medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In stand mixing bowl, beat butter and vegetable oil until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add sugar while beating at medium speed.
- Add eggs and egg yolk one at a time, scraping down the bowl half way through.
- Turn speed to low and add in flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, alternating. Start and finish with flour mixture. For example 1/3 of flour, half of buttermilk, another 1/3 of flour, last of buttermilk, last of flour. Beat on high speed for 20 seconds.
- Divide into disposable pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly pressed.
- Cool on wire racks while you make buttercream.
Strawberry Butter Cream Icing
- Beat butter on high speed until very light and fluffy. Turn down to low speed and slowly add pureed strawberries and strawberry jam until fully incorporated.
- Slowly add heavy cream then powdered sugar. Beat for 5-7 minutes until super light and fluffy.
- To finish cake, layer cakes and butter cream alternately and top with fresh berries.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.