- 1/2 cup + 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour/meal*
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1/4 cup coffee liquor or dark rum or brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Coffee Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line an 11X17-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper and set aside
- In a stand mixer with whip attachment, whip together 1/2 cup sugar, almond flour, flour, 3 eggs and vanilla extract. Whip on high for 5 minutes.
- Add one egg and whip for another 3 minutes, add last egg and whip another 3 minutes.
- Pour mixture into another large bowl. Clean mixing bowl and whip attachment for next step.
- Whip 3 egg whites and 4 tablespoons sugar to medium (not stiff) peaks and set aside.
- Add melted butter to almond mixture and then fold whipped egg whites delicately into almond mixture.
- Use an offset metal spatula to spread mixture onto parchment lined pan.
- Bake approximately 11-12 minutes or until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed.
- For coffee syrup, bring 2/3 cup sugar and 2/3 cup water to boil. Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee. Let instant coffee cool then add coffee liquor (or rum or brewed coffee) and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Prepare ganache and set aside.
- Prepare coffee buttercream by beating 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter until fluffy, add powdered sugar and mix for 3-4 minutes until fluffy.
- Warm 2 tablespoons milk until lukewarm and add along with 2 tablespoons instant coffee; mix well. Let cool then add to buttercream mixture.
- Turn cake out onto work surface lined with plastic wrap. Do not remove paper yet! Cut cake into 3 equal layers. Leave paper on!
- Line backside of a cookie sheet with plastic wrap. Place one cake layer on it. Remove paper.
- Moisten with 1/3 of coffee syrup using a pastry brush.
- Retain 2 tablespoons of buttercream frosting aside and spread remaining amount onto moistened cake.
- Place second cake onto assembly and remove paper. Moisten with another third of syrup.
- Spread slightly more than half of thickened ganache onto 2nd layer. (Should be consistency of mayonnaise.)
- Cover with last cake layer and remove paper. Moisten cake layer with syrup and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Spread about 2-3 tablespoons of ganache onto surface of cake just to seal “pores” of cake. Place bowl with remaining ganache over low simmering pan of water until ganache thins to a fluid consistency.
- Pour onto surface of cake and spread evenly. Place in refrigerator for 15- 30 minutes.
- Cut / trim sides of cake to expose layers.
- Place remaining buttercream in a small piping bag and write Opera on surface or decorate with coffee beans.
- Remove cake from refrigerator 1 hour or more before serving.