- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Zest of 2 large oranges, no white bitter pith
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cups almond flour*
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, regular or low fat
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Orange slices, optional for decoration
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush sides of an 8 or 9-inch round baking pan and sprinkle with flour. If available, line bottom with a round disc of parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix butter until light and fluffy. Add 3/4 cup sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Add one egg yolk at a time waiting for previous added yolk to be fully incorporated before adding next and scrape in between additions.
- Add orange zest, vanilla extract and almond flour and mix until smooth. Add ricotta cheese and blend until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and remaining sugar until medium firm peaks form. Gently fold into flour mixture.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and sprinkle the surface with sliced almonds.
- Place in oven and bake until center of cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 45 minutes.
- When cooled for about 30 minutes place a strong paper towel or kitchen towel on the surface of cake . Cover with a thin cutting board or large plate. Turn upside down and remove pan. Place a serving platter onto cake and turn upside down once more.
- When cooled completely decorate with orange supremes and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Well stocked grocery stores often sell almond flour/meal in bulk at a discount. This cake can easily be frozen after baking and thawed when needed.