- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted very cold butter
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pecan Pie Filling
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups, well packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups pecan pieces or halves
Milk chocolate flavor cake layer
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large egg yolks + 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Optional: Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- Optional: Candied Pecans
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For crust follow method as shown here in our video or do the following: Place flour in a large bowl. Using a box grater, grate very cold butter onto flour. In a cup combine buttermilk, salt, sugar and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture and combine briefly until dough forms. Place in freezer for about 10 minutes or until cold enough to roll.
- Meanwhile prepare pecan pie filling by briefly whisking eggs and milk. Melt butter until liquid but not boiling and whisk in along with vanilla extract. Whisk in brown sugar and flour. Set aside.
- Set aside a springform pan and a cupcake pan. On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a circle 3 finger wider than bottom of springform pan.
- Place dough into pan and press well onto sides about 3 fingers high. Scatter in pecans followed by pecan pie filling. Place in oven and bake until center of pie no longer trembles and feels set, about 40-45 minutes.
- Near the very end of the baking process start preparing the cake layer. Sift together flour and baking soda and set aside. Bring water to a boil and pour onto chocolate. Whisk smooth and add salt, set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or large bowl with hand held mixer mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and mix well. Add one egg yolk at a time and mix until well combined.
- Add chocolate mixture and mix until light and creamy while scraping in between.
- Add one third of buttermilk and once combined add one third of flour, when batter is smooth repeat with buttermilk and flour and repeat. Stop mixing once batter is silky.
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites until medium firm peaks form and fold into above batter.
- The cake batter makes slightly too much to be all poured onto the pie and bake properly, therefore pour 3/4 of batter onto baked pecan pie and return to oven until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes. Pour remaining cake batter into cupcake liners or muffin pan lightly greased. Place in oven and bake until center of cupcakes bounce back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes.
- When pecan pie cake has cooled spread the surface with ganache and decorate with candied pecans.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
NOTE: The mouth feel is extraordinary and a bit candy bar-ish, but not as heavy.