- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese
- 1 cup very soft butter
- 2 pounds or 8 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pecan Praline Topping
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- You will need three 9 or 8 inch round cake pans. Cut 3 parchment rounds by placing a cake pan on parchment paper. Draw a circle around bottom edge and cut using scissors. Repeat twice.
- Place a parchment cutout into each cake pan and brush paper and sides with melted butter or spray with baking spray. Sprinkle evenly with flour and shake out excess, set aside.
- Blend and sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk egg using a hand held or stand mixer until well blended, add sugar and whip until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. On low speed add vanilla and pumpkin.
- Stir in flour and mix until just combined. Scoop and divide evenly into prepared pans.
- Place in oven and bake until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 13-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Turn upside down on kitchen or paper towels which have been evenly sprinkled with powdered sugar. Allow to cool completely.
- For frosting mix cream cheese and soft butter on low speed until blended. Add one cup of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until blended.
- Gradually add remaining powdered sugar and mix on low to medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix well.
- For pecan praline topping: If desired pre-toast pecans for 8 minutes in a 350°F oven.
- In a saucepan bring all ingredients to a boil excluding pecans. Boil for 3 minutes ensuring that mixture will not boil over. Remove from heat and stir in pecans. Set aside.
- Remove parchment paper from one cake round and place cake on a serving platter. Frost surface with approximately 1/3-inch cream cheese frosting. Spread frosting evenly across cake, or use a piping bag to add teardrops of frosting around edges. If using a piping bag, fill center with swirls of cream cheese frosting.
- Remove parchment paper from second layer and place onto frosted cake round. Frost once again with cream cheese frosting. Remove parchment paper from third layer and place onto frosted cake round.
- Spoon pecan praline topping over top layer of cake. If caramel topping is too firm to spread onto surface heat briefly until slightly softened. Do not allow to get warm!
- Keep refrigerated but remove from refrigerator at least one hour before serving.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Click on "Play Recipe Video" above to see Chef Eddy make this recipe for you.