Cake should rest overnight
Pumpkin Poke Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin purée
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 cup (2 stick) salted butter, diced
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6-7 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 13X9” baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add butter and sugars. With paddle attachment on, beat on low speed until creamy and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Beat in pumpkin puree.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk to pumpkin mixture. Do not overmix!
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cake is cooled, with a fork or handle of a wooden spoon make holes in cake. Pour condensed milk over cake and let it sit for a couple of hours or overnight before making caramel frosting.
- To make frosting, add butter and melt over low heat. Once butter is melted, add brown sugar and whisk constantly until sugar is melted the mixture reaches a boiling point. Slowly, and carefully, pour heavy cream and continue to stir. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly until mixture reaches a boiling point again.
- Remove from heat and let mixture get to room temperature, about 40-50 minutes.
- Gently add powdered sugar to caramel mixture.
- Spread frosting over cake.
- Cut into pieces. Store the cake in fridge in an airtight container and serve at room temperature.
- Just before serving, drizzle cake with caramel sauce, optional.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Roxana Yawgel at a TrEATS Affair.