- 1/2 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 sticks salted butter, slightly softened
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 sticks salted butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour three 8-inch cake pans and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside. In bowl of a mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. With mixer on medium low speed, add flour and milk alternately, starting and ending with flour mixture and scraping bowl as needed.
- Divide 1/2 batter evenly amongst 3 prepared pans. Divide cinnamon/brown sugar mixture between three cakes, sprinkling evenly over batter, then top each with remaining half of batter. Spread to cover and then swirl gently with a knife. Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- While cakes are cooling, prepare caramel sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add sugars, stirring until mixture starts to bubble. Slowly whisk in cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick, several minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- Once caramel sauce has reached room temperature, prepare frosting: In bowl of your mixer, beat butter, 1/2 cup caramel sauce, and heavy cream on medium-low speed until smooth. Change mixer speed to low and slowly add powdered sugar and cinnamon. Once powdered sugar is just barely mixed in, increase speed to high and beat for one minute.
- Assemble and frost cake, leveling layers with a serrated knife if necessary. Chill frosted cake for one hour and then pour remaining caramel sauce over top, spreading gently to edges and allowing it to drip down sides. It may be necessary to slightly heat caramel sauce before spreading over top of cake – be sure not to overheat it as it will cause frosting to melt.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Kristan Roland @bakescupcakes.