- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Gold ’N Natural Turbinado Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
Filling & Topping
- 2 fresh pears (firm, yet ripe)
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Gold ’N Natural Turbinado Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Milk or cream
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 9-inch springform pan with non-stick spray.
- Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Whisk flour and baking powder, baking soda and salt, add alternatively to batter with sour cream.
- Spread two-thirds of batter into prepared pan, reserving remaining batter for topping.
- Peel and core pears, slice thinly and toss with lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, stir walnuts with Turbinado sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Remove three-quarters of walnut mixture from bowl and sprinkle evenly over batter in springform pan. Reserve remaining mixture for topping.
- Arrange pear sliced evenly over walnuts mixture in pan. Spread remaining batter over pear slices.
- Add 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 cup melted butter to remaining walnut mixture. Stir until crumbly. Sprinkle over top of cake.
- Bake 65-75 minutes or until done.
- Cool on wire rack for about 10 minutes, then remove sides of pan and cool slightly.
- Whisk confectioners sugar with enough milk to make a good drizzling consistency. Drizzle immediately over top of cake and serve warm or at room temperature.