- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup oil (grape seed, olive-not extra virgin or canola oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups grated carrots
- 2/3 cup pecan pieces or walnuts
- 1 cup raisins, dark or golden
- Cream Cheese Frosting
Dried carrot strips
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium sized carrots
- Optional: 1 1/3 cups pecan pieces for sides
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour or use baking spray, prepare two 9 inch baking pans. Set aside.
- In a bowl beat eggs for 5 minutes. Gradually add oil in a thin stream. Add vanilla.
- Sift together sugar, flour, cinnamon and baking soda and add to above and mix well. Add carrots, nuts and raisins and mix until combined.
- Evenly divide batter into prepared pan and place in oven. Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean. About 45 - 55 minutes. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Turn cake out pan. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting and frost cool cake.
- For carrot strips, peel carrots using a vegetable peeler. Continuing with vegetable peeler, make long carrot strips from top to bottom. Set aside. Bring to a boil sugar and water. Add carrot strips and simmer for 5 minutes and then drain.
- Lay carrot strips in a curvy fashion on a silicone baking mat or wax paper. Place on a cookie sheet and place in a 200°F oven until crisp, about 90 minutes.
- Optional: Coat sides of carrot cake with 1 1/3 cups of finely chopped pecans.