- 1 2/3 cups cake flour*
- 1 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee, hot
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder*
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 7 egg whites (no yolk traces)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk coffee and cocoa powder until smooth. Add and whisk in egg yolks, oil and vanilla. Whisk in dry sifted ingredients.
- In separate bowl whip egg whites and cream of tartar to medium peaks. Fold whipped meringue into chocolate batter, do not overfold to ensure a light and airy mixture.
- Scrape batter into a 9 or 10-inch ungreased tube pan and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 60-70 minutes.
- Turn pan upside down and allow to cool.
- Run a knife around the edges of pan to loosen cake.
- If desired cover cake with chocolate ganache.