- 1 stick + 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 2 tablespoons oil (grape seed, olive or canola oil)
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method*)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 1/3 cups (3.5 ounces) sweetened coconut
- 5 large egg whites, free of egg yolk traces
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pecans and coconut for decoration, as desired
*Using spoon fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. (Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour three 8 or 9 inch pans or use baking spray. Set aside.
- Cream butter and oil until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix further. Add egg yolks one at a time waiting for previous added yolk to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often. Whip until mixture is light and fluffy. Add vanilla.
- Sift together flour and baking soda. In low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk. Once combined add pecan pieces and coconut.
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into above batter.
- Evenly divide the batter into prepared pans. Place in oven and bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean. About 28 to 35 minutes. Let sit in pan for 15 minutes before removing.
- Turn cakes out pans. Let cool. Freeze well wrapped or frost layers now.
- Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting. Frost cool cake. Decorate with pecans and coconut if desired.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
Chef Eddy Tip: To save time on the day of your party, do what most professional bakers do. Bake your cake layers up to a week in advance and freeze without frosting. On the day of your party, remove the layers from the freezer and frost when still cold. Cold frosted cakes will reduce the crumbs from getting into the icing or frosting!