- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup half and half
- Optional: 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate shavings
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In mixing bowl mix butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar, salt and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for previous added amount to be fully incorporated and mixture becomes creamy and light between additions.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and add all at once to above, mix until combined. Do not overmix.
- Spread batter evenly into baking pan and place in oven until cake bounces back when lightly pressed in center or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Let cool until completely cold.
- In microwave heat about 1/4 of evaporated milk until hot but not boiling. Remove and stir in instant coffee. Once dissolved add all remaining milks. Add liqueur if desired.
- Poke holes over entire surface of cake using a fork. Pour milks evenly and in increments over cake and allow them to be completely absorbed.
- Whip whipping cream and sugar until firm peaks form. Spread on cake. Top with finely chopped chocolate or shavings.
- Cake is best when refrigerated overnight.