- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups sifted cake flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Grated zest of one lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 teaspoons of hot water
- 1 cup, for dusting Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Grease and flour a 9X5-inch tube pan. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter with sugar until very light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour with baking soda and add alternately to cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Blend in lemon extract and lemon zest.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared tube pan and bake in center of oven for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in its pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then loosen cake from the rim of the pan with a long sharp knife. Remove cake from pan and cool to room temperature on a rack. While cake cools, prepare Luscious Lemon Glaze.
- Luscious Lemon Glaze: Sift powdered sugar into a small mixing bowl. Add lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir in hot water, one teaspoon at a time, until glaze is smooth, creamy, and of a good drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle glaze on top of cake and dust with powdered sugar. Store cake, tightly covered, at room temperature.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
This recipe originally appeard in the Homemade Good News Cookbook, 1993, V XIII, No. 4.