- 2 cups cake flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 jars (12-15 ounces) orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two 8 or 9-inch baking pans and set aside. (Fitting a round piece of parchment paper on bottom of baking pan is recommended for easy removal of cake.)
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix butter until very creamy and smooth. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add one egg yolk at a time and mix at least 30 seconds between each.
- Add salt, vanilla extract and orange zest.
- Add 1/3 of flour and mix until combined. Add half of buttermilk and mix until smooth. Add another 1/3 of flour and mix smooth. Add remaining buttermilk and orange juice. When combined add remaining flour.
- Divide batter into the pans and place in oven and bake for 25-28 minutes until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- After 5 minutes turn upside down on plastic food lined surface and let cool.
- Slice both cakes horizontally in half and place first layer on a serving tray.
- Evenly spread orange marmalade on cake layer, cover with another cake layer and cover with a cake layer. Repeat with orange marmalade followed by cake layer. Repeat once more.
- Sprinkle surface of cake with powdered sugar and serve.