- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup cacao powder, use extra dark if a deep rich cake is desired
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups room temperature water
- 1 cup oil such as grape seed oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Basic Butter Cream Frosting
- Black food coloring
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare two 9 inch baking pans with baking spray or butter and flour. For easy removal, line bottoms of pan with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Sift together sugar, flour, cacao powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Add sifted ingredients to bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Divide evenly into pans and place in oven.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until center bounces back when gently pressed or an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit 10 minutes. Place a serving dish on top of baking pan and quickly turn upside down. Let cool.
- Prepare Basic Butter Cream Frosting. Set aside a small amount in a bowl for white frosting. Add black food coloring to remainder of frosting and blend well. Frost entire cake with black frosting as desired.
- Use white frosting to draw a spider web on top of black frosting. Plastic spiders can be used to place on spider web for an additional topping design.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
This delicious and moist cake is free of eggs and it also does not contain trans fats!