- 24 peppermint candy canes
- 12 ounces premium dark, milk or white chocolate*
- Optional: Silver dragees
- Optional: Dixie Crystals Gold ’N Natural Turbinado Sugar
- Unwrap candy canes and set aside.
- Line 2 cookie sheets or cutting boards with plastic food wrap and place in a refrigerator.
- Chop chocolate into pea size pieces and place 2/3 of chocolate in a bowl. Reserve the remaining 1/3.
- Fill a medium saucepan with one inch of water and bring to a boil. Turn to very low simmer and place chocolate bowl on top. Using a rubber spatula stir chocolate to 115°F and remove from heat. Allow chocolate to reach 112°F.
- Add remaining one third of chocolate and “smash” out the lumps using a rubber spatula. If a few stubborn lumps remain do not reheat chocolate! Any remaining lumps can stay in chocolate.
- Dip each cane into chocolate and place on plastic food film lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle immediately with silver dragees or roll in turbinado sugar.
- Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes and remove. Wrap and keep at room temperature.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
*Peppermint candy canes can be made using candy coating but remember that it is not real chocolate. Candy coating has the advantage that it will always harden after being melted. Real chocolate is trickier in that regard. However if you follow the melting steps and temperatures given in this recipe you will have chocolate that hardens perfectly. Only premium high quality chocolate can be melted into a fluid state as needed in this preparation. (Chips for cookies will not melt down as they do not contain enough natural cocoa butter!)