Coconut Macadamia Nibbles
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
Let stand for 4+ hours
- 1 bag (7 oz) unsweetened coconut (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut liquor or Rum (optional)
- 2/3 cup macadamia nut pieces, unsalted (Bulk section grocery store)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon -1 tablespoon oil, light flavor
- Place coconut in a food processor and mix until coconut is in very fine pieces. (Omit this step if you purchased macaroon coconut from bulk section of grocery store.) Place in a bowl large enough to hold remaining ingredients and set aside.
- In a saucepan bring sugar and water to boil. Once boiling place a lid on pan for 1 minute. Doing so will trap steam and make any sugar crystals stuck to side of pan slide down.
- Remove lid and without stirring cook syrup to 237°F. Be aware that this syrup can cause severe burns if spilled.
- Pour syrup onto coconut and using a spatula stir to combine. Add vanilla. Press plastic food wrap directly on top of mixture to cover. Set aside until completely cool and at least 4 hours or preferably overnight. (Coconut will absorb moisture as it sits.)
- Add macadamia nuts, honey, and coconut liquor or rum if using. Brands of coconut vary in amount of moisture and therefore mixture may or may not need additional moisture from honey and/or liquor. Adjust as needed to obtain a firm mixture that can be rolled into balls. Start by adding a little moisture at a time.
- Line 2 cookie sheets or cutting boards with plastic food film and set aside. Roll mixture into balls and place on prepared sheets.
- Select a saucepan which will nicely hold a small bowl. Fill saucepan with 1-inch of water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling turn to very low simmer and then place bowl on top, add chocolate and stir constantly until chocolate is nearly melted. If it is very dry and does not melt easily add a teaspoon oil; add more if needed.
- Drizzle melted chocolate onto coconut bites. Keep in a cool place.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Tiff :: Robin B :: Angie Thomas :: Edna :: Lori S :: pathterry :: Alice :: Yolanda B :: Michelle L :: Stephanie Long :: Jackie Hicks :: chenae nicole :: Blu :: Gail Birdsey :: Erin Braxton :: Lauren Claussen :: kate :: shannon Green :: darlene :: Shana F