Corn Syrup Free Orange Marshmallows
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
One 9 x 13 inch pan, about 36 marshmallows
- Evenly spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer combine gelatin and water (1), fit with whip attachment and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine sugar and water (2) and cover with a lid. Boil for 3 minutes and remove lid. Attach a thermometer on side of pan and boil until syrup reaches 240°F. Do not stir syrup as this may cause it to crystallize.
- Remove from heat, engage mixer in medium speed and while whipping pour hot syrup in a slow and steady stream onto whipping gelatin. Once all combined engage mixer in high speed. Add salt.
- Whip until mixture feels lukewarm and looks like marshmallow fluff, about 8-12 minutes. Add orange oil or extract (add more for a stronger flavor) and food coloring. Stop mixer and scrape marshmallow into prepared pan. Spread evenly. Dust with a partial amount of powdered sugar.
- Allow to cool, preferably overnight while covered with plastic food wrap. Does not need to be refrigerated.
- Next day remove from pan and cut into desired size, toss generously into powdered sugar.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
- Once you realize how easy it is to make your own marshmallows, you will never go back to store-bought. Homemade marshmallows are more light and airy than the packaged kind.
- Use caution while working with hot syrups as they can cause severe burns. Working in a calm environment is essential.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Sofigo :: Cindy M :: Kristi P :: Lavenia Snipes :: sbradley :: murdock420 :: chas2283 :: dkg :: Gil :: Njosorio :: Karen S :: Breanna Carroway :: Tracy :: Lynne H :: pattie beblowski :: Andricka D :: shangil :: Dlyn :: Pamela W :: SweetTooth