Homemade Citrus Gumdrops
Prep time :
12 - 24 servings
- 1/2 cup lemon, orange or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon zest of citrus fruit of choice (finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons powdered gelatin
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Food coloring to match flavor
- 1 cup (for covering gumdrops) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with tinfoil as neatly as you can and very lightly oil. (You can do it without oil it is just not as easy to separate the gumdrop from the surface.)
- In a large bowl, combine juice and zest and allow to rest for 5 or so minutes to soften up the zest and release some of its flavorful oils.
- Sprinkle gelatin over the juice mixture, stir until completely combined then set aside.
- In a medium pot, combine water, sugar and salt and stir while bringing to a boil. Stop stirring when it begins to boil and keep it at a boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour sugar mixture over the gelatin mixture and stir until it is smooth and all gelatin has dissolved.
- Pour into prepared pan, set aside overnight.
- Using fondant cutters for small gumdrops or cookie cutters for larger gumdrops, cut into shapes and roll in sugar. Let them set for a day or so to really form the gumdrop crust.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
These cute and flavorful homemade candies can be cut into a variety of shapes to match any event theme or holiday.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: tricia :: Renee :: treena f :: praise529 :: VirtuousRae :: ehwebb :: Momcat :: Trudi :: Bobbie B :: Kathy Pang :: Leann G :: Karen W :: jennifergorski2014 :: Pamela P :: alma478 :: AL :: Butterfly100 :: Casse B :: anccoupons :: Wadeedah El-Amin