Prep time :
4 hours set time
3 dozen truffles
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 bars (6 ounce each) high quality chocolate with cocoa content near 60%
- Chop one 6 ounce bar chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients. Set aside.
- In a saucepan bring whipping cream and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat and pour onto chopped chocolate. Stir using a whisk until chocolate is melted, add mint extract. Taste mint ganache and if desired add a small additional amount of peppermint extract.
- Cover mint ganache with plastic food wrap and let set for 4 hours or overnight.
- Using a melon baller scoop out ganache into round balls. Remaining ganache can be pressed and rolled by hand into balls. Set aside.
- Line 2 cookie sheets or cutting boards with plastic food film and set aside.
- Chop remaining chocolate bars into small pieces and place 2/3 of it in a microwave-proof bowl. Set 1/3 of remaining chocolate aside.
- Select a saucepan which will nicely hold the above bowl. Fill saucepan with one inch of water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling turn to very low simmer and place chocolate bowl on top. Stir constantly until chocolate is nearly melted and has reached 115°F.
- Remove from heat and allow cooling to 112°F. Add remaining chocolate bar and stir until most has melted.
- Place some chocolate on palm of your hand and roll a round ganache ball into it. Place on plastic lined cookie sheet. Repeat until all is done. If chocolate becomes too firm or cold place it in the microwave for 4-5 seconds intervals.
- Keep truffles refrigerated.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Bert H :: Melissa C :: Kaitie Christensen :: Sherry F :: Peggy B :: Kristie H :: Pamela McPherson :: Laura J :: tarac :: katie :: Terest :: Lynn H :: Barb :: sharon ahner :: j :: Roxanne B :: HankWatson :: widener jordan :: tara :: Kendra H