Sour Orange Drops
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
0:12 to 0:18
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon orange flavoring
- 1 tablespoon citric acid
- Liquid food coloring (optional)
- Set aside a silicone baking mat or coat a granite or marble surface with a thin coat of vegetable oil (any light flavor will work). Set aside a clean pair of latex gloves, a non-serrated knife and a large cutting board.
- In a small sa ucepan combine sugar, corn syrup and water and stir to a boil.
- Once boiling, place a lid on pan for 2 minutes, (trapped steam will wash away any sugar crystals stuck to sides of pan.) Remove lid.
- Absolutely do not stir sugar syrup for the entire cooking process. If using food coloring, add it at 270°F. Cook syrup to 310°F.
- Remove from heat and add flavoring and citric acid. Dip bottom of pan into a large bowl filled with cold tap water for 1 minute.
- Wipe all water from bottom of pan and pour syrup onto silicone or stone surface.
- In about a minute the syrup will have become firmer on the bottom. Using gloved hands, roll-fold the mass towards the center into itself.
- Continue until the sugar mass stops spreading, this will take about 5 minutes.
- Pull the mass apart into a rope.
- Transfer onto cutting board and use a knife to cut into drops.
- Roll in powdered sugar and store in an airtight bag.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Suzanne B :: thelma b :: Tammy :: Michelle :: collins :: asw0627 :: Kayla Michelle Waller :: Toni Franklin :: cj :: Suboo :: Gwen C :: Kattie :: Mr.B :: joehayek :: komo :: Vickie Norman :: June Legge :: Kristen :: sweetsugarrush :: Patreab