Set 12 hours
- 16 ounce container fresh strawberries
- 4 - 5 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 7 ounces best quality white chocolate (from imported bars)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Optional: Crumbled 1/2 cup Sugar Cookies
- 7 - 9 ounces best quality white chocolate (from imported bars)
- 1 teaspoon fleur de sel
- Wash strawberries, remove stem and dry. Slice strawberries as thin as possible.
- Dip sliced strawberries into granulated sugar and place very close on a silicone baking mat (preferred) or use parchment paper.
- Place in a 180°F oven for 3 hours or until strawberries are dried and have a texture similar to leather. If using parchment paper remove as soon as possible from parchment and place into a bowl. Set aside.
- Chop first listed chocolate into small pieces and place in a microwave oven-proof bowl.
- Bring heavy cream to a boil, remove from heat and pour onto chocolate. Whisk or stir until well combined. If any lumps remain, place in a microwave oven for a few seconds. Keep as cold as possible and do not overheat.
- Mix in dried strawberries and set aside. It is best to allow the mixture to set for 12 hours; however placing it the refrigerator for 30 minutes will speed up the process.
- After setting stir in crumbled sugar cookie pieces. Using your fingers scoop out small truffles size pieces of mixture.
- Roll in between palms of hands. Wearing food grade gloves can be helpful if the mixture becomes sticky. Set aside.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or plastic food film and set aside.
- Chop second listed chocolate into small pieces and place 2/3 of chocolate in a microwave oven proof bowl. Reserve remaining one third. Fill a saucepan with one inch water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a very low simmer and place chocolate bowl onto saucepan. Stir chocolate constantly until a thermometer reaches 112°F. Remove from heat and retake temperature. If it climbs above 112°F allow temperature to drop to 112°F before proceeding.
- Stir in remaining chopped chocolate, it may not completely melt but that is okay. From this point on, the temperature of this chocolate needs to remain below 87°F or it will not set and harden properly.
- If needed, you can reheat chocolate in a microwave oven for 4-5 seconds at a time, ensuring that the temperature never exceeds 87°F.
- Fill a bowl or pot with 90°F water and float chocolate bowl in it. This will keep your chocolate from getting cool too fast. Ensure that no water can splash into chocolate bowl.
- Place some chocolate onto your hands and take a truffle, roll into chocolate and place on prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle immediately with a few grains of fleur de sel.
- If desired roll truffles a second time into chocolate.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
NOTE: It is very important to follow correct temperatures and work method for chocolate. Doing so will ensure that chocolate around the truffles will properly harden and obtain a gentle sheen.